Tony Ortega’s Unreliable Sources: David Love

David Love aka David Forslund

Today we feature one of Ortega unreliable sources, David Love.

The following information was found on a blog where David Love is being featured in great details.

One Man, Two Identities
David Edgar Love was born in Powell River, BC, Canada in 1952. When his biological father died David’s mother married Per Forslund. At age 9, David Love became David Forslund. Sometime in the early 1990’s, David was facing a big problem. He wanted to become a realtor in Courtney and Campbell River, BC, but he had a criminal record under the name David Forslund, which would have disqualified him from legally obtaining a realtor’s license. In order to show that he had no criminal record he switched back to his birth name, David Love. As David Love he was now “clean” and had “no criminal record” if anyone looked him up in the system.

Drug Dealer
Between the late 1960’s and mid 1970’s, David Love (as David Forslund) was sentenced to jail for robberies and drug-related crimes. William Head Penitentiary and Jordan River Work Camp on Vancouver Island were some of the correctional facilities to which he was sentenced. He was involved in trafficking drugs out of Mexico which he then sold in Canada. He used his then wife as a mule to hide the drugs when crossing the border.

David met his first wife, Norma, in Powell River when she was an innocent young teenager. By the age of 15, David had Norma completely hooked on drugs. Norma and David got married in the early 1970’s and had two daughters. David was violent and would beat Norma into obedience if bullying her wasn’t sufficient. In one instance, David beat her so badly that she was left with permanent scars. He also threatened her at gunpoint.

In May 1982, David “convinced” Norma to break into a pharmacy in Sechelt, British Columbia, to steal drugs. They broke in, filled large bags with drugs and got away. However, David’s greed prompted him to bully his wife and force her to go back to the pharmacy to steal more drugs. On their return to the crime scene the police arrested Norma. David forced Norma to take the fall for the robbery and leave him out of it. When Norma entered a rehab facility, David began an affair with his second-wife-to-be, Christine. David would brag with friends about how he convinced Norma that he was broke and could not support her financially, yet he was staying in a hotel enjoying Christine’s company. He didn’t lift a finger to protect his two daughters who were taken away and placed under State custody.

David Love’s daughter letter
According to online information, in 2008, David Love, after having been arrested, begged his daughter to help him to be accepted by a drug rehabilitation center in Quebec. She obtained their consent to help Love. After helping him to get off drugs, not an easy thing due to his almost lifelong abuse, David turned on the group and began a smear campaign against the very center that saved his life and kept him out of jail.

Due to Love’s disgusting and despicably dishonest conduct his daughter was forced to reveal the truth about him and did so in the following public statement:

… I am David Edgar Love’s daughter. I went through the Narconon Program at the facility in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec and was very successful. The Narconon Program saved my life.

I do not have a lot of memories growing up with my father, as my parents divorced when I was only 3 years old. My mother remarried her current husband who she has been with for almost 30 years. Essentially because of the lifestyle my father continued to live with street drugs and crimes he committed to feed his drug habit, my mother wanted to keep me away from that lifestyle.

My mother was very open and honest with me with regards to her life with my father and all the drug use and crimes that they committed. She was able to get clean and get us children back so she was not anxious to let me have contact with my father David.

However, the more she didn’t want me to have anything to do with David, the more I wanted to know who my father was. So when I was 11 years old my mother let my older sister and I go visit him for the summer. When we returned, my sister at age 14 decided she did not want to have anything to do with our father as she thought he was manipulative and controlling. She broke all ties with him from that point on and has had no contact or relationship with him since. Me on the other hand I went away with wanting to get to know him better, so the following summer when I was 12 I went to spend the summer with him. After 6 months I returned to live with my mom and her husband but I kept in contact with my father through letters that I would send and receive at a friends house.

My communication with my father has always been sporadic over the years mostly because of his lifestyle. My father would call me usually when he needed help with something. Like the time when I was 17 and just going into college, he called saying his second wife had had enough of him and he needed me to take him to this clinic in Toronto to help him with his Heroin addiction. David told me he was working as a Realtor on Vancouver Island at the time and he had told his co-workers he had Hepatitis C, so they held a fund raiser for him to raise funds for his treatment. When they found out it was actually to go to a clinic to be treated for a Heroin addiction he was fired. I flew him out to the clinic in Toronto and we use the money they had raised for the airfare, hotel and treatment.

When my father contacted me in 2008 saying he needed my help as he was living on the streets and had no where to turn. David was in trouble with the law and had been arrested in November 2008 for Possession of Stolen Property in excess of $5,000 as well as Possession of Stolen Property under $5000 and Break and Entry. He was hooked on Heroin as well as other drugs and said he had been in the hospital because he had overdosed. He was on a waiting list for a treatment program in BC but really needed my help. I told him everything about Narconon and how they had helped me and I said I would talk with the Management and see what I could do for him.

After talking to Management of the facility they agreed to help my father David by giving him a 50% discount off their regular rate. In order to help pay David’s treatment fees I took out a loan, which I am currently still paying back. As well Narconon allowed David to use his El (unemployment) cheque he received every two weeks toward the balance owing. He was staying at a shelter and many of the nightly residents would exchange various different drugs with one another. Also my father was on Unemployment and every two weeks when he received his cheque he would spend it all on drugs.

The sooner I could get him out of that environment the better he would be, so I worked with a Social Worker in Vancouver to arrange to fly my father to Montreal. I then had someone pick him up and bring him to my home. My father went through the Withdrawal Stage of the Program and once complete he went through the other 8 stages successfully.

What I like about the Narconon program for myself was that although it was really hard it helped me take responsibility for my life and myself. I had been to another treatment program on Bowen Island, BC where they used the 12-step program and I found that that program did not help me. Narconon’s Program is personalized, each person completes each stage at his or her own pace, and no one rushes you through. You do not move to the next step until you are ready. I believed in the program so much so that I stayed on afterwards and became Narconon staff member. When my father needed help he turned to me and I turned to Narconon for their help to assist me in getting my father clean from drugs.

When my father graduated from the Narconon Program in April 2009 he gave an amazing speech singing praise of Narconon and how the Program helped him. My father David believed in the program so much so that he became a staff member at the Narconon Facility in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec.

When I heard about Narconon Trois-Rivieres, Quebec being shut down in April 2012 that was a turning point for me. It was then I knew I could no longer stand by idly as David attacks the very people who helped both of us, not to mention thousands of others.

What my father is famous for doing is taking a grain of sand of the truth and exaggerating it to suit his needs. He has been doing this all his life, and after having an addiction to street drugs for as long as David has had it makes one delusional and paranoid, there are lots of studies that support this. He may believe he is fighting this cause for the greater of mankind but in reality it is for what David Love can get out of it financially.
My father changed his name from David Edgar Forslund to David Edgar Love in 1995 or 1996. He said it was because both his parents had past away and he wanted to take on his birth father’s name. I think it was more to do with his past and wanting to escape all that went with it. My father has tried to lead a normal life, working various jobs, buying homes but unfortunately the drugs always won out. Now he has cleaned up to the best of my knowledge and is no longer on street drugs but one has to wonder with his blogs about suffering from Post Traumatic Stress what prescription drugs he may be using. I want to believe he is clean in everyway and more than anything for him to stop this addiction with Narconon and Scientology. However, I know he will not until he gets what he wants from it, which is money.

I know this letter will bring on a lot of anger from my father and he will say I was coerced to do it. However, I want you to know I write this of my own free will because I could not in good conscience stand by and watch my father destroy so many people’s lives without at least standing up and saying something.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments are closed.